A, an and the in use (What the writer assumes the reader knows).
Examples: I got an A on the test.
More than one A was given, or at least the writer thinks so, and the writer got one of them. The writer assumes the reader knows which test.
I got the A on the test.
Only one A was given on the test, and the writer got it. The writer assumes the reader knows which test.
The car is in the parking lot.
Both reader and writer know which car and which parking lot.
A person could be in danger here.
Both reader and writer do not know the specific person.
- ► 2006 (14)
- ► 2005 (20)
- A, an and the in use (What the writer assumes the ...
- Articles a/an and the The articles can cause so...
- I find that my previous posting on the country is ...
- Just a little note about using the articles a and...
- There are a few verbs that belong to the class kno...
- Here are a few more points about none. The Amer...
- Someone asked about the use of none in phrases wit...
- Here is the table with some words that commonly fo...
- The first thing I want to discuss is the words tha...
- ▼ April (9)